|Photo Credit: Cole on Da Photoz|
Living in color means having the courage to embrace change. Really, do we have a choice? Every moment, our bodies are changing; circumstances push us into different spaces, and force us to adapt. In American culture, the beginning of the year is lauded as the season of change, but if you are like most of us, when the novelty wears off, this seems like another great concept that is impossible to actualize.
Well, despite our struggle towards acceptance of change, it is possible to move towards embracing it fully. Here are five methods that are helping me along this path:
1. Look for the positive – I know this sounds a little pie in the sky to cynics, but looking at the positive elements of whatever life change you are facing provides empowerment. Perhaps someone totaled your car. This might be eliminating a bill, while making a way for you to drive something much nicer.
2. Imagine the Alternative – In one of my poems I wrote, “Sameness suffocates, it is the worst sort of death.” View change as your rebirth. Who wants to be the same person 10 or 15 years from now?
3. Discover Another Part of You – Have you always played an instrument or drawn? How about being the responsible and reliable person in your family, or group of friends? Maybe for whatever reason, you must alter your role, or embrace another one because of a critical life change. This provides you with a unique opportunity to see yourself as the multifaceted and wonderful human being that you are. Psalm139: 14 says: “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” You are a miracle! Never lose sight of this key message.
4. View it as Motivation – Change motivates us to move beyond our present reality (remember this is evolving constantly), and create new possibilities. Use the change to motivate yourself in new and exciting ways.
Have you always wanted to write a book? Now you are given an opportunity to do so because your schedule has loosened a little. What’s stopping you from starting today?
5. Develop Your Faith – Whatever your faith, rely on it to help you embrace change. As a progressive Christian, I talk to God, recall bible verses as sources of inspiration, and constant reminders that I am not alone in this journey.
What methods are you using to adapt to change?