Latest posts by Emelda De Coteau (see all)
- Freedom for All, Not Just a Few - July 4, 2019
- Inspiration For Your Ears & Soul: From Lauren Daigle’sInspiring Music to Victory Over Struggle - October 20, 2018
- Blogging Again – Staying Woke & In Faith - October 17, 2018
Every other month, Shan and I are going to dish all things inspiration in our blog chats.
This month seemed fitting to explore love, especially self love, as we are often taught, particularly women, to love everyone but ourselves.
Shan and I are both on paths of healing, love and discovery. We are seeking to honor the light within ourselves, and want those same feelings to manifest for everyone, especially women.
Listen to today’s blog chat on Soundcloud. Tomorrow we’ll share on YouTube.
Audio editing by Keystone Productions.
Check out our show notes (including 3 core ways to cultivate self love – listed below first), followed by links to books and other resources we mention:
1. Make healing yourself (from wounds, past experiences, etc.) a priority! This could be tied to your faith (for me it’s inextricably linked) and include daily and / or frequent time alone (5-10 min.) for reflection. Even if you its initially one minute alone, begin there!
2. Post positive self affirmations around your home and work space, or even on your phone. Say them aloud throughout the day. These may include statements like “I am beautiful. I am worth the life I seek. I am created in the image of God and my life matters. Abundance and joy are my birthrights.”
Check out this powerful daily affirmation from The Free Gurl Club:
3. Say NO to what drains and depletes you as these people, places and / or choices are creating feelings of being overwhelmed.
When we are overwhelmed, we often self medicate in unhealthy ways – excessive drinking, working long hours, overeating, etc.
Peace from Broken Pieces: How to Get Through What You’re Going Through by Iyanla Vanzant
The Audre Lorde quote I referenced on self care. You might also enjoy this blog post about Audre and her intellectual work.